- 20 fresh tomatillos
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 onion, peeled and halved
3 serrano chile peppers, stemmed
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock, optional
- 1 cup roasted green chiles
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel off the papery husks from tomatillos and rinse. Transfer to a sheet pan.
- Add garlic, onion and serrano chiles to the pan. Drizzle with a little canola oil and sprinkle of salt. Roast for about 20 minutes.
- Remove roasted items and place in a Dutch oven. Let stew over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add everything to a food processor, along with 1 cup roasted green chiles. You can also add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock to add some flavor. Puree 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve with your favorite Mexican recipes, such as huevos rancheros.
- 2 cups green tomatillo sauce
- 2 organic brown eggs
- 1 cup refried beans, heated
- 2 corn tortillas (handmade style preferred)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- Minced cilantro
- Sour cream, if desired
- Heat 2 cups of the green tomatillo sauce over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into sauce and cook until poached to your liking.
- In a separate pan, lightly fry 2 corn tortillas in about 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil.
Place tortillas on plate. Spoon hot refried beans over each tortilla. Top
with the eggs, chopped green onion, sliced avocado and some minced cilantro
for garnish. Add additional sauce over the Mexican huevos rancheros, if desired.