- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening, chilled
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons ice water, or more as needed to form a soft dough
- Pulse a few seconds in food processor. Push down sides with rubber spatula. Drizzle the ice water into the mixture.
- Remove and roll out.
- If it breaks apart, drizzle a bit more water. Wrap into plastic wrap and chill about 20 minutes.
- Place some flour on your work surface and on rolling pin. Start in center and roll out clockwise until it is about 1/8-inch thick. Place pie crust carefully into pie pan and cut off excess edges.
- Pinch edges in a flute pattern.
- To prebake crust in a convection oven at 450 F for about 10 minutes, or until it's golden brown. Using a traditional oven, you can prebake at 350 F for 20-30 minutes, or until golden. Make sure the pie crust is very cold or frozen before prebaking.
- If not prebaking, simply place your favorite filling in the pie and bake as directed.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes (not including 1 hour of chilling)
Serve With: Homemade Whipped Cream
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup of water
Coconut Haupia Recipe
1 cup whole milk
1 cup of sugar
14 ounces of coconut milk
Chocolate Pie Filling
7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
Whipped Cream Layer
1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 baked 10-inch homemade pie crust (or use store-bought)
- To make this chocolate pie recipe, you'll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe, which is featured in a separate video.
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch into 1 cup of water and let it dissolve. This is your cornstarch slurry, which will thicken our Hawaiian haupia recipe.
- Over medium heat, bring 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup of sugar and 14 ounces of coconut milk to a boil. Reduce the heat on the milk to a simmer and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Now, we stir continuously until it thickens up.
- In a saucepan, melt 7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in half of the coconut mixture.
- Top baked pie crust with the chocolate pie filling, then top with the reserved Hawaiian coconut haupia custard. Refrigerate this for one hour.
- Our final touch on this homemade chocolate pie is the whipped cream. Whisk this until stiff peaks form.
- Now, just layer the homemade whipped cream on this no bake chocolate pie, top it with fresh shaved chocolate shavings, and we're done!
To make this chocolate pie recipe, you'll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe, which is featured in a separate video. I hope you enjoy this easy recipe for chocolate pie. I personally think it's the best chocolate pie ever. Thanks for tubing in, and feel free to leave your comments below!
Total Time: 5 minutes
Serve With: Jason's Chocolate Haupia Pie
Ingredients:This homemade whipped cream recipe uses:
- 2 1/2 cups of chilled heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- Place the ingredients for the homemade whipped cream recipe inside a cold mixing bowl. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of white sugar, followed by 2 teaspoons of vanilla (if you want a chantilly cream, which was invented in France during the 1800s).
- You make make whipped cream without the vanilla, but I think it adds a nice flavor.
- Next, using a figure-8 motion with your hand, continually whisk to incorporate air into the cream, about 5 minutes. Or you can use a mixer. Whipped cream dispensers require nitrous oxide inside a whipped cream charger. As a result, I prefer whipping cream by hand instead of using the whipped cream dispenser.
- Now you can impress your friends by showing them how to make whipped cream from scratch. This keeps well in the refrigerator, and if it flattens down slightly, simply whisk it up again when you're ready to use it.