Monday, August 13, 2012
NACHOS CHILI CON CARNE DIP
by Jackie Ang-Po
1 cup onion, minced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp red chili deseeded and minced (labuyo)
½ tsp dried thyme
Olive oil, for frying
500g lean ground beef
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup fresh red tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup canned tomato, chopped
1 cup tomato puree
100-200ml chicken or beef stock
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
400g canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
Handful of chives, chopped
200ml soured cream
1) Sauté the onion, garlic, chili and thyme in 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan.
2) Add the dried spices to the onion mixture and cook until they release their aroma. Then stir in the beef and mix well. Add the fresh and canned tomatoes and leave to cook down a little for about 5 minutes.
3) Pour in the chicken or beef stock and stir in tomato puree to taste. Drop the cinnamon and bay leaf in then bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
4) Once the sauce is beginning to thicken add the kidney beans and leave to cook for another 5-10 minutes to allow the beans to soak up the flavors. Check for seasoning.
5) Mix the chives and soured cream together. Serve this as a separate dip.