Sunday, August 19, 2012

Steak Pizzaiola Recipe - How to Make Steak Pizzaiola - Summer Tomato Ste...




Steak Pizzaiola – Better Late (Summer) Than Never

I’ve been wanting to post this steak pizzaiola recipe for a while now, but was bidding my time, waiting for those perfectly ripe late-summer tomatoes before trying it. 

Of course, those have been available around here for many weeks, but every time I’d buy some, I’d quickly use them on sandwiches, salads, etc., before getting to make this great dish. Hey, a BTL can bevery seductive.

Well, I’m happy to announce I was finally able control my will power, and saved enough for a beautiful bowl of concasse, which is the soul of this superb sauce. Speaking of concasse – which is nothing more than a fancy French culinary term for peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes – I’ll be posting a video for how to do those on Tuesday, so stay tuned.

Like virtually every recipe we post, there are hundreds of ways to make pizzaiola; from versions featuring slowly braised tough cuts, like chuck or rump roast, to quickly seared tenderloin medallions, like I used here. The one thing most people agree on is that you should, if at all possible, use really fresh, very sweet, vine-ripened tomatoes.

Having said that, this would work with some finely chopped, canned San Marzano tomatoes in a pinch. I also encourage the use of both dried and fresh oregano, which I think work great together in this quick sauce. Anyway, I really hope you have access to some beautiful tomatoes, and that you give this steak pizzaiola recipe a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 pound beef tenderloin steaks, cut into 4 medallions
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup mushrooms
2 tsp butter
1 cup sliced or diced sweet and/or hot peppers
4 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup finely chopped, peeled and seeded tomato
pinch of hot chili flakes
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
toasted bread and mozzarella, optional

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment