Commercial Cooking/ Culinary Arts consists of competencies that a person must achieve to clean kitchen areas, cook hot and cold meals, and prepare, portion and plate meat/food to guests in hotels, motels, restaurants, clubs, and canteens, resorts, and luxury lines/cruises.
After the training the students should be aware of the following competencies:
· Participate in workplace communication.
· Work in a team environment.
· Practice career professionalism.
· Practice occupational health and safety procedures.
· Develop and update industry knowledge.
· Observe workplace hygiene procedures.
· Perform computer operations.
· Perform workplace and safety practices.
· Provide effective customer service.
· Clean and maintain kitchen premises.
· Organize and prepare food.
· Select, prepare and cook meat.
· Receive and store kitchen supplies.
· Prepare stocks, sauces and soups.
· Prepare cook and serve food for menus.
· Prepare appetizers and salads.
· Prepare sandwiches.
· Prepare vegetables, fruits, egg, and starch products.
· Prepare and cook poultry and game.
· Prepare and portion controlled meat cuts.
· Prepare and cook seafood.
· Prepare hot and cold desserts.
· Prepare pastry, cakes, and yeast-based products.
· Present food.
· Package prepared foodstuffs.