1) Two bars (red and green) of gulaman (seaweed in bars. Available in markets), 4 cups water, 1 cup granulated sugar, prepare 2 glass or metal molds of 3 cups capacity each to put cooked gulaman,1/4 tsp. each of pandan and strawberry extracts.
a. For the sago (tapioca pearls): Boil 5 cups water and add 1 cup uncooked sago. Stir once in awhile (uncovered) for 15 minutes or until clear. Drain. Put in a bowl and pour tap water twice the amount of sago to prevent them from sticking. Reserve some for our drinks/shakes today.
2) Ten tall glasses for halo-halo, half-filled with crushed ice when ready to serve.
3) Topping: 1/2 cup toasted pinipig. Serve with 2 cups Magnolia Fresh Milk or canned coconut cream or sugar syrup. For the sugar syrup boil 1 cup water with 1 cup dark brown sugar until just dissolved. Cool.
4) Procedure: Shred the red gulaman in a saucepan and add 2 cups water. Let boil until gulaman is dissolved. Add 1/2 cup sugar and strawberry extract. Mix and pour on container. Refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour). Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Do the same with the green gulaman and pandan extract. Pour in 10 glasses half-filled with ice. Top with a tablespoon each of sago and pinipig. Serve with fresh milk or coconut cream or syrup.
5) Note: Instead of sago and pinipig you can use canned lychees, peaches, and Mandarin oranges. Use syrup from can in place of milk.
Francis & Annette Canuto’s Melon Shake
1) Put in a blender: 4 cups cubed melon, 1 cup fresh milk, 1/2 cup condensed milk. Shake. Pour in 8 tall glasses that has 2 tablespoons each of sago and half-filled with crushed iced. Top with a scoop of vanilla or ice cream of your choice.
2) Note: other fruits like mango, among others are also ideal for above recipe.
1) Put in a blender: Flesh of 2 very green mangoes, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 can (1 1/2 cups) Sprite or Seven up. Pour onto 6 tall glasses (Zombie glass) filled with crushed ice.
Discoveries of the week
For beer lovers, the place to be is Beers Paradise located at Polaris corner Durban Street, Makati City. The laidback lounge décor creates a cozy ambience and pleasant atmosphere where guests can socialize and chill out with friends. The second floor includes karaoke, billiards, darts, a stage for live bands, activities that will surely make your night memorable. Various dishes such as the mix platters are top notch and the service is exceptional! For parties and reservations, call 895-9272 or 346-2530.
For the highest quality of vanilla beans you can order from the Vanilla Company. The beans come from Papua New Guinea and Tahiti. The three varieties include Bourbon, Tahitian, and Pure Vanilla Extract, all of which have double the flavor. For inquiries, call (046) 860-2993, SMS 0915-4608888 or visit www.TheVanillaCo.com.