|1 ½ cups cake flour, sifted|
|¾ teaspoon salt|
|¾ cup sugar|
|¼ cup cold water|
|1 tablespoon honey|
|1 cup eggwhites|
|¼ cup sugar|
|1 teaspoon cream of tartar|
|2 ½ cups whipping cream|
|¾ cup confectioners’ sugar|
|2 cups frozen or fresh strawberries, chopped|
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F.
- Line 2 – 9 inch round pans with greased proof paper. Set aside.
- Sift cake flour, ¾ cup sugar and salt 3x. Transfer them in a bowl of the mixer then make a well in the center. Add water, eggyolks and honey. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggwhites, ¼ cup sugar and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Pour the eggyolk mixture gently over the eggwhites. Fold the mixture just until blended and no white streaks remain. Do not over mix. Gently pour the batter into the prepared pans. Spread carefully using a small offset spatula to smoothen the top.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched with a finger in the center of the cake.
- To make the filling & frosting: Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until soft peak stage. Add the powdered sugar and continue whipping until double in volume. Fold in the chopped strawberries. Put one layer of the cake on a serving platter and spread some of the whipped cream mixture. Top with the second cake. Spread the remaining whipped cream mixture on the top & sides of the cake. If desired, garnish top with fresh strawberries. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving.